Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Resurrection


Do you remember what the world looked like in February? Here’s a picture of my rose bushes – there were no roses under the snow. Nothing was there but dead branches.


I attended four funerals in May – all were funerals of faithful Christians. While funerals are not my favorite pastime they aren’t the worst activity either. I went to each funeral to show love and support for the family members, but each funeral also blessed me because of the faith of each family.

Losses are difficult and painful. Yet each of the four families spoke with hope and faith about the loved one now being with God. The fact that these were Christian funerals made them a time of celebration, hope and rejoicing as well as a time of sadness at the loss of each person.

I’ve been to funerals where the families were without faith. These are really sad affairs. You live and you die and that’s it. There’s no eternal purpose to life. And certainly, there’s no eternal life afterward. The song, “If You Could See Me Now,” was played two of the funerals. The chorus of this song says

If you could see me now…
You wouldn't want me to ever leave this place,
If you could only see me now.

Nature reveals the truth of the resurrection, I believe. Remember how my roses looked in February? Here’s how they look now. How can we see these evidences in nature and not believe? This takes more faith than believing does.

Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” John 11:25

Blessings, Dottie

1 comment:

  1. Dottie, I agree! Funerals for saints are encouraging, and they often leave me challenged about the legacy I will leave behind. I was at 2 of those with you, and yes, they were (are!) inspiring folks! I am so thankful that what I see today cannot compare with what is to come!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete