This is the tenth in a series of blog posts with my sister Betty Haynie about what we believe. Our thoughts are intentionally brief on subjects that could fill volumes.
REASONS I BELIEVE JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GOD
By Betty Haynie
I heard a story which described many pathways to God. Each pathway had its ups and downs, lessons about life strewn in the path etc, but from the eagle’s viewpoint, they all gradually merged closer and closer to each other. Finally they became one huge path. After walking this path for a while it was obvious that the path was getting narrower and narrower. Then, up ahead, there was a humongous boulder blocking any further passage. You couldn’t get over it, under it or around it. BUT, there was a door. The door was marked Yeshua. To continue on your path to God you HAD to go through the Rock - the Yeshua Rock.
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by
’” John 14:6 Me.
And remember, He only said what His father told Him to say.
“Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.” John 14:10-11
I went through a period of doubt, wondering why God would condemn people to eternal separation from Him for not accepting His Son, Jesus, as divine. It seemed to me there should be more than one way or one path to heaven. Well I have come to realize that God is not willing that any should suffer eternity without love (God being “love”).
In an article from Focus on the Family, Del Tackett believes this issue (one way to God) is core to our faith and proof of God’s holy nature. We Christians believe in absolute truth - God’s truth. Therefore if it is in the Bible and we quote it, we are not expressing our own truth but that of God which we have accepted.
“Unless a man is born again, he cannot see the
.” John 3:3 kingdom of God
THE path to God, i.e. Salvation, is found in no one but Jesus. "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts
He was the sacrificial lamb who died for our sins so that through our confession of sin and acceptance of the gift of Christ we can avoid death. We who believe will simply go from this life to the next as if walking through a door.
John sees Jesus coming to him and says, “See, here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” John 1:29
The path for believers is full of love, hope, joy, peace, truth, growth, change, caring, acceptance, happiness, freedom from guilt and remorse and much, much more. The path of the world is full of competition, aggressiveness, dog eat dog, ulcers, cheating, conniving, lying, sexual promiscuity, greed, heartache, sorrow, fear, suspicion, etc., etc. Which kind of path are you on? Are you satisfied with your choice?
REASONS I BELIEVE JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GOD
By Dottie Parish
There are many historical, factual reasons to believe that Jesus is the only way to God. Throughout the Old Testament there are over 100 predictions about the future Messiah. These were written by many authors, in numerous books, over a period of 1,000 years. For instance one of the prophets said the redeemer is to be born in
. “As for you Bethlehem ,.....from you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Bethlehem . His goings forth are from long ago, from the days of eternity.” Micah 5:2 Israel
Over one hundred prophesies about Jesus as the Messiah are fulfilled in the New Testament. What is the probability of that?
“Jesus said to them, ‘This is what I told you while I was still with you. Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law or Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” Luke 24:44
In addition, all the books of the New Testament – written by men who knew Jesus, offer their own testimony about him. Here’s part of what Peter says:
“We did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.’ We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.” 2 Peter 1:16-18
So who did Jesus say he was? Mark Driscoll in a talk at the Crystal Cathedral listed seven statements of Jesus that are “earth shattering, history altering and life changing.”
1. Jesus says “I have come down from Heaven.” He says this repeatedly in the John 6 alone. This is an unprecedented and unparalleled claim.
2. Jesus says that He is God. “I and the Father are one.” John 10: 30 He is claiming equality with God the Father.
3. Jesus said his miracles proved he was God. “Why do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said I am God’s son? Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. But if I do, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I in the Father.” John 10:36-39
4. Jesus claims he is without sin. “Which of you convicts me of sin?” John 8:46 Jesus is either a boastful, arrogant man or the God-man he says he is.
5. Jesus said he could forgive our sin. “Your sins are forgiven.” Mark 2:5 Conflict erupted as people said God alone forgives sin. And they were right.
6. Jesus said he is the only way to heaven. “I am the way, the truth, the light (singular and exclusive). “No one comes to the Father but by me.” John 14:6
7. Jesus said he would rise from death. “The son of man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles. They will mock him and spit on him, and flog him and kill him and three days later he will rise again.” Mark 10:33-34) He is the Redeemer, the Savior! He conquered death!
Jesus asks “Who do you say that I am?” Matthew 16:15 We all must answer this question. It’s the most important question in life. So….who do you say Jesus is?
Father, I pray for those who don't know you. I pray they will gain not just information but transformation today. Give them your Holy Spirit to dwell in their hearts and guide them, and to fill them with joy, peace and grace that never ends. And I pray they say, "Yes, Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God!" In Jesus name I pray. Amen.
Watch for the next Reasons to Believe post on WHY I BELIEVE CHRISTIANITY CHANGED THE WORLD in late March by Betty and Dottie