Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Healing Power of Exercise


Exercise has healing power. Our bodies are designed to move. The more we move the stronger we will be. Yet we spend much time sitting. We all slow down some as we age but we must keep moving.

Dr. Andrew Weil in his book Healthy Aging says “Human bodies are designed for regular physical activity. The inactivity of many people today undermines both general health and brain health and probably plays a significant role in the epidemic of depression today.”

Dr. Henry Lodge in his book, Younger Next Year says “Aging can be reversed and delayed by exercise.” This message is repeated over and over in his book.  He tells of sedentary 70 year old men who doubled their leg strength in three months. He also says that arthritis is an inflammatory disease of sedentary societies.

Both of these doctors say it’s important to vary the exercise, to do weight lifting as well as walking and that you gain more strength and benefit when you push yourself.  I’ve been a regular exerciser for decades and I added weight lifting several years ago. I can attest to the fact that this helps. My balance is better as well as my energy and strength. I won’t be younger next year but I hope to be stronger!

“I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

Blessings, Dottie


No comments:

Post a Comment