Thursday, August 9, 2018

Seeking God in Silence



Silence is viewed as toxic in our culture. Noise saturates and over stimulates us. Television, cell phones, radio, and computers consume our time and distract our minds. We need silence to slow down and breathe. We need silence to relax our body and soul. We need silence to release our cares and concerns to God.

We must empty our minds and be still. Silence brings us in touch with inner longings and needs. Silence touches our deepest feelings; brings to mind our hurts, angers, frustrations and flaws. We would rather run away from these. Once we face these things and cry out to God we can abide in Him. If silence continues long enough we will face our sins and humble our hearts before God. Then we will sense the sweet presence of God in new ways.

We must be silent to sense His presence. There are spiritual broadcasts that are timeless and eternal but we must tune into these through silence. These broadcasts can easily be jammed. They are heard only in the silence.
We need silence during worship to face our sins and sense the presence of God.

Scripture says:
·       Be still and know that I am God.” (Ps 46:10 NIV)

·       “They who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” (Isa. 40:31 ESV)

·       “My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken.” (Ps. 62:5-6 NASB)

To deepen your relationship with Christ, spend ten minutes or more in silence every day. Commit to taking time for this period of silence and stillness. The longer you do this the more meaningful this time will become.

Father I thank you for your peace in my heart and for your Word and your Spirit. I know your Spirit is in me. Help me rest in you – not wrestle and clench my teeth. Help me relax and yet do what needs to be done. Bless and guide this day. I read 1 Corinthians 13 in the Montgomery translation and it says: “Love knows how to be silent.” We can’t hear you unless we know how to be silent and most of us talk more than we listen. Help me be a better listener. Help me be still and know that you are God. Increase my love, trust, hope, patience and perseverance. Let all I do glorify you.”

“Love knows how to be silent; it is trustful hopeful, patient, enduring.” 
1 Corinthians 13:7-8
Blessings, Dottie



No comments:

Post a Comment