Sunday, February 17, 2013

Journaling Psalm 51



Psalm 51 is David’s Psalm of repentance for his many sins including adultery and murder. He was a man after God’s own heart yet a sinner – saved by grace. Lent is a call to prayer, confession and repentance. I plan to journal on Psalm 51, dividing the Psalm into six sections which will be posted once a week through Lent. Join me on this solemn and blessed journey.

Psalm 51:1-2 NLT
Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.

Father,
Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. You have shown me so much mercy. You have forgiven all my sins – even my rebellion — willfully turning away from you. I ignored you for decades and you took me back. I continue to sin and you always forgive me. Yesterday I spurted anger at M about a minor issue. You forgave me when I asked (and so did he). Your mercy never ends. Your love is unfailing, beyond comprehension. You love without conditions. Forgive me for not living as though I believed this. This is obvious in my need to control things rather than trust you. Help me trust you.

Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Your compassion has no bounds and we who receive it do not merit it. It is unmerited favor – truly Amazing Grace from the God of the universe. Your compassion is so huge you gave your Son to suffer and die for me. Your compassion is so unending that it is with me every moment of every day if I will just see it. Open the eyes of my heart and remove the spiritual cataracts from them. Blot out the stain of my sins. I want to be one with you yet my sin keeps me from you. I continue to put myself on the throne. I flare with anger and irritation. I gossip. I entertain worry thoughts. I’m fearful. I’m critical of others. I confess again these sins and ask your forgiveness.

Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. You blot out the stain of my sins. You accept me as I am and call me to listen to you, lean on you, and follow you. Purify my heart in the consuming fire of your love. You have washed me clean of my guilt – with your blood. “What can take away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus” sings in my soul. These words are true. Thank you for the hope I have in you. 

Blessings, Dottie 





2 comments:

  1. Dottie: I have been doing this Psalm 51 journaling for my daily writing exercise, as well.

    ReplyDelete