Monday, May 21, 2012

Challenging Red Words in Scripture


DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY
Matt. 5:27 Do not commit adultery.  Don’t lust in your body or in your heart. Live a morally pure life no matter what it costs.
Mark 10:18  Do not commit adultery.
Luke 18:20  Do not commit adultery.

Questions to Ponder:
What am I looking at? What do I desire? 
Where is my focus - on what the world offers or on what God desires?

DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY
Father,
Help me recognize when I lust in my heart. We live in such a sexualized and materialistic world it is difficult not to be influenced by the images we see on TV or elsewhere. We must guard our thoughts and keep them true to Him and true and pure toward our partner in marriage. 

It’s also common to lust for “things” and rationalize that it’s OK to buy things for myself, for the house, for my family. Ironically, Christmas, the celebration of your birth here on earth, is one of the most difficult times in this regard. We give and receive a lot from our family. But what do we spend helping the least of these? Help me keep my focus on you and listen to you in this area.

CUT OFF/OUT WHAT CAUSES SIN
Matt. 5:29-30 Cut off/out whatever causes sin.
Matt. 18:7-9  Get rid of or cut yourself off from anything that causes you to sin.
Mark 9:43-48 Cut off/out what ever causes sin.

CUT OFF/OUT WHAT CAUSES SIN
Father, 
This is a difficult commandment though I understand it’s necessity. My most difficult sins to overcome are my self-centeredness, my anger and my need to control my life. You have opened my heart a great deal and have helped me focus more on others. Your Word has helped me understand that feelings come and go and are like a ship tossed about in the sea. I’ve learned most of the time to bring my anger to you and to realize it often stems from my self-centeredness, wanting things my way. My controlling personality has also been gradually changed some. You have been gentle with me in all of these so I’m growing toward the goal of your perfect love. Keep on pruning me.

Blessings, Dottie


No comments:

Post a Comment