Saturday, April 24, 2010

Making A Difference: Dogs, Prisoners & People

I recently read a newspaper article about an amazing charity named Circle Tail, Inc. It’s amazing because it helps everyone involved. According to their web page “Circle Tail provides assistance dogs to people with mobility, hearing, neurologic or psychiatric disabilities.”

Most of the dogs are rescued from dog pounds. The founder, Marlys Staley, trains the dogs at her kennel and places them with prison inmates for further training and care before they are placed with someone in need. The inmates learn how to train dogs and they also learn to be patient and conscientious.

Her goal is to help others every step of the way. She certainly does that. The dogs are rescued, many from being euthanized; the prisoners are helped by having a valuable job to do while they “do time” and the people with needs are ultimately helped when they receive an assistance dog.

Circle Tail also offers dogs for adoption, offers obedience training, behavior management and boarding. To learn more, check out their web page at www.circletail.org. Be sure to read on the web page some of the stories about the dogs and the people involved.

I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me. I was sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to visit me.
                                                                      Matthew 25:35-36

Blessings, Dottie

No comments:

Post a Comment