Thursday, December 7, 2017

HIDDEN CHRISTMAS

Here's a book review of a book you may want to read or give to someone this Christmas.

Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ 
by Timothy Keller

Hidden Christmas was a gift to me last year and I read it in January. I read it again in July and again this month! It is a profound book. In my review after the first reading I wrote, “I received this as a Christmas gift and thought of waiting to read it next December. I’m glad I didn't wait as it inspired me and deepened my faith and knowledge.” 

In Hidden Christmas Keller explores difficult Christmas scriptures that are seldom quoted. Each chapter sheds new light on words spoken to Joseph, to Mary, to the shepherds, and to others. In the final chapter on the Doctrine of Christmas Keller shows us that salvation is by grace alone. And the world celebrates Christmas yet doesn’t really understand it. Below is my favorite quote from the book:

“A God who was only holy would not have come down to us in Jesus Christ. He would have simply demanded that we pull ourselves together, that we be moral and holy enough to merit a relationship with him. A deity that was an all accepting ‘God of love’ would not have needed to come to earth either. This God of the modern imagination would have just over looked sin and evil and embraced us. Neither the God of moralism nor the God of relativism would have bothered with Christmas.

The biblical God, however, is infinitely holy, so our sin could not be shrugged off. It had to be dealt with. He is also infinitely loving. He knows we could never climb up to him, so he has come down to us.” 47

Hidden Christmas is a small but powerful book that I will reread at Christmas in years ahead.

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned...For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end." Isaiah " 9:2, 6-7


Blessings, Dottie



No comments:

Post a Comment