Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Psalm 119 Meditations and Prayers Relating to the Law of God

This is the longest Psalm and the longest chapter in the Bible. Eight different terms referring to Scripture are used through out. They are: law, testimonies, precepts, statutes, commandments, judgments, word and ordinances. A pastor suggested a good exercise was to read this verse by verse, meditate on it and journal on each verse. I did so beginning about a year ago. I’ll post a section of this Psalm with my thoughts about once a month though I may not go all the way through it.

Aleph
How blessed are those whose way is blameless,
Who walk in the law of the Lord.

Dear Father, Is my way blameless? Do I walk in the law of the Lord? Only by the blood of Jesus which covers all my sins. Thank you for this. Keep me blameless – pure and holy, surrendered to you.

How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.

Father, I am blessed when I am being true to your word, your law, your decrees. Show me when I fail to follow you so I can get back on track. I seek you with all my heart – at least I want to do this. Help me walk in your ways consistently, day in and day out.

They also do no unrighteousness;
They walk in His ways.

Father, They do NO unrighteousness? Maybe that’s true for Billy Graham. He walks in your ways. I TRY to walk in your ways. Help me be honest with myself about this. Help me do NO unrighteousness. Help me walk in your ways.

You have ordained Your precepts,
That we should keep them diligently.

Father, I know you have given us your laws, commandments, precepts – your Word. How fortunate we are to know these. Help me keep them diligently. Here’s a definition for diligent: “Having or showing care and conscientiousness in one's work or duties.” Here are some of the synonyms: industrious, conscientious, meticulous, rigorous, careful, thorough, earnest, persevering, persistent, tenacious, zealous, dedicated, committed, and untiring. Wow! Help me keep your precepts diligently. 

Oh that my ways may be established
To keep Your statutes!

Father, the Psalmist pleads that his ways will “be established” – be routinely practiced, be second nature to him – he will keep your statutes – your laws, your commands. I plead this also, Lord. May my will conform to yours. May my failures be erased.

Then I shall not be ashamed
When I look upon all Your commandments.

Father, When I keep your laws I won’t be ashamed when I read your commandments. There will be no shame when I am absolutely true to you and to your commandments. Praise God. Only with your power in me can this happen.

I shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments.

Father, I give thanks to you with a “purer” heart than ever before as I learn your righteous judgments. I’m like a toddler, though. I walk and then fall down. I’m still learning. I keep getting up and trying again. Teach me more Lord.

I shall keep Your statutes;
Do not forsake me utterly!

Father, As the Psalmist says, I will keep your commandments. Don’t give up on me! Your Holy Spirit tells me you will never leave me or forsake me. Thank you, Lord.

Blessings, Dottie



No comments:

Post a Comment