Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Commands of Jesus

ASK - SEEK  -  KNOCK
Matt. 7:7-11 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and your will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Luke 11:9 Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 

Mark 11:22-24 Have faith in God. I tell you the truth if anyone says to this mountain, “go, throw yourself into the sea’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it and it will be yours.

John 16:24b Ask and you will receive and your joy will be complete.

ASK - SEEK - KNOCK

Dear Father,
In Mark’s gospel he starts this section with “Have faith in God.” I think all versions presuppose this. We need to have true and trusting faith in you. Lord, increase our faith in you. When we seek you our faith grows. It’s reassuring to know from Scripture that you want us to pray; you want us to ask of you, seek you, and knock on doors, persistently.

As I was writing this I ran across these verses from Jeremiah 29:12-13: “You will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

Thank you for the assurance that you hear us and will give us good gifts, whatever is best for us. Help us keep your will in mind when we ask. Help us ask, seek and knock in keeping with your kingdom. Help us persist in seeking you. Help us pray with intensity. Help us understand that if we don’t receive what we pray for, it’s because you have something better for us. 

It’s awesome to think that our faith in you can move mountains. It’s amazing to realize that in some mysterious way our prayers release your power into the lives of others, even those who don’t know you - healing or saving them. Increase our faith, Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment