Monday, June 11, 2012

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK & GIVE TO ALL WHO ASK



Matt. 5:38-42 If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Luke 6:29-31 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Matt. 7:12  Do to others what you would like them to do to you.

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK and GIVE TO ALL WHO ASK.
Father, It seems to me that this scripture describes a peace maker and a very generous person. This is someone who cares about others, listens to others view points, gives to others in need and is openly vulnerable, not defensive, in relationships, that is, turns the other cheek. The loving way is to cooperate and do more than is asked. This is a very high standard and contrary to the ways of our culture.

I am generally a peace maker and I thank you for giving me this disposition. Even so, the inclination to retaliate is strong in most of us, including me. When someone hurts me, I want to hurt them back, though most of the time I stuff it or journal about it or try to talk with the person.

I have learned in my journey with You to be more open and transparent with others, rather than hiding my weaknesses and flaws. Help me continue to grow along these lines of love. I also have overcome much defensiveness though this occasionally raises its head in close relationships. I am giving and caring in many ways, but I need to be more responsive to the needs of others and less self focused. 

Your words command extreme humility and generosity. Help me obey. 




No comments:

Post a Comment