Life is a journey and the beginning of a New Year is a marker in that journey. Take time to look back and reflect - not to criticize or punish yourself but to help you face where you are today. Take time also to look ahead and decide where you want your life to go tomorrow and all your tomorrows.
Much planning occurs before a trip. We pick our destination and arrange for a place to stay. We get directions or we make airline reservations. We plan what we'll take with us. We buy new clothes or items needed on the trip and we spend time packing before we're ready to go. We put time and effort into planning trips yet often give little thought to the longest and most important trip we make - our journey through life. We let life happen to us instead of deciding what we want from life and how God wants us to use our time.
This year, 2012, let’s be more intentional about life. Prayerfully think about it. Ask God to reveal his will – even his “call” to you.
Here are steps to follow
1. Write down everything you would like to be or do or have. Let your imagination run wild and don't censor this sheet. Later you can narrow down the goals you will actually work on.
2. Divide your goals into areas: Physical, Mental, Emotional, Social, Spiritual, Financial, Family and Career. You will need goals in each area so your life will have balance. Write down each goal and under it write down why you want to achieve this goal.
3. Be specific about each goal. For example, change your vague statement, "I will exercise more" to the specific statement, "I will walk two miles a day."
4. Be positive about each goal. Many weight loss goals are doomed to failure because they are based on self disgust. Make certain it is something you really want rather than a "should."
5. Write it down. This commits you to following your plan.
I hope these ideas will help you achieve your wildest dreams during 2012.
“I will instruct you and show you the way you should walk; I will counsel you, keeping my eye on you.” Psalm 32:8