Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Meek Will Inherit the Earth!

Matthew 5:5  Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:5 God blesses those who are gentle and lowly, for the whole earth will belong to them. NLT

I want to be gentle – it sounds so kind and loving. But do I want to be lowly or meek? These qualities are not considered desirable by our culture. Is meek the same as weak? No, it is not. So what is meekness? “Showing mildness or quietness of nature” says my on line dictionary. Here are two quotes from Lloyd Ogilvie who defines meekness in reference to this scripture.

“Gentleness [meekness] is neither recklessness nor cowardice, neither brashness nor lack of boldness. It is the perfectly timed, appropriately expressed, consistently reliable quality of those who do not go off in all directions but are under the guiding control of truth.”

“The inner sign of meekness is profound quietness that waits on God. The outer manifestation is freedom from destructive anger and debilitating wrath.”

Studying this makes me realize there is quiet strength in meekness.

The Meek Will Inherit the Earth!
Father,
Meekness and humility don’t come naturally. Teach me to be gentle and humble. Teach me not to think too highly of myself. I’m a work in progress in all of this. I know when I listen to you I am much more at peace. I pray for “the profound silence that waits on God” and that I will be “under the guiding control of truth.” You are the way, the truth and the life. Those who wait on you will receive the blessings of the kingdom on earth. And we’re ready for that Kingdom to come! We’re your adopted sons and daughters - your heirs. What a promise!

Blessings, Dottie


No comments:

Post a Comment