Thursday, December 13, 2012

DON’T STORE UP TREASURES ON EARTH


Matt. 6:19-24 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also....You cannot serve both God & Money."


Father,
I want my heart to be totally focused on you and your Kingdom. Help me let go of “things” I don’t need and guide me in the “things” I buy. Help me simplify my life but also keep my appearance and our home attractive for your glory. Help me give freely from the abundance you have provided, but also save enough so we aren’t a burden to others in the future. My heart belongs to you.
           
Father, this scripture is convicting especially at Christmas when shopping preoccupies our time. Our culture has made your Son’s birthday a celebration of materialism. Forgive us all for this. Help us focus on the Reason for the season and guide our giving. The wise men brought gifts to Jesus on the first Christmas. Gifts show love and appreciation and gifts involve generosity – a virtue you prize. Help us celebrate this Holy day in a way that honors and celebrates You and also expresses deep love for our family and friends. 

Blessings, Dottie

2 comments:

  1. Dottie: This is a beautiful post. I especially like the prayer. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete