Monday, April 23, 2012

The Red Words in the Bible


About a week ago I wrote about immersing myself in “the red words” in the Bible. I compiled all the commands of Jesus in the four gospels combining those that repeat. This alone stunned me.  For instance, how often He said “Listen.”  Do we listen?  We don’t listen very well or very much.  Knowing how important this is helps me listen much more. 

Listing the commands of Jesus helped me know more clearly what’s important and kept my focus more on Him and His word. It’s awesome to think of the fact that these “red words” are the very words of Jesus, our Lord and Savior. And He said them not just to his followers then but to all of us who now follow Him.

Last week I wrote about His first command and my journal comments about it - "Repent".

The second command of Jesus is "COME, FOLLOW ME."
Matt. 4:19       Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men.
Mark 1:17       Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men.
Mark 2:14       Follow me. 
Luke 5:27       Follow me.
John  1:4        Follow me.
John  12:35    Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, my servant also will be.
Matt. 8:22       Follow me and let the dead bury their own dead.
Matt. 19:21b  Then come, follow me.
Mark 10:21b  Then come, follow me.
John 21:19b   Follow me!
John 21:22b   You must follow me.

"COME, FOLLOW ME"
Dear Father, I do come and I do follow you though my progress is slow and erratic and often I fail to follow.  Part of me would rather “do it my way.”  I forget to ask you for direction, I forget to look and see where you are leading, I forget to listen.  Help me turn to you in all things and follow you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment