Thursday, February 2, 2012

Learning to Love


I'm journaling 1 Corinthians 13 - 1 or 2 verses at a time. These will be short posts, but will appear more often. Writing helps me grasp, in a devotional way, the meaning of scripture. I highly recommend it.

1 Corinthians 13:1  “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging symbol.” NIV

The Message: “If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy, but don’t love, I am nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate.”

So even if my words are eloquent and passionate, but I am without love, I am only making a nerve-wracking noise, my words are useless at best and could be very annoying. Lord, help me LOVE in word and deed.

My husband visited a cousin in a nursing home recently– a very loving thing to do. I spoke loving words to my sister. I wanted to help her. Guide my words, Lord. I know I often offer advice, trying to fix or control my loved ones. Teach me, Lord. 

Blessings, Dottie


1 comment:

  1. Dottie:
    I have a friend I used to see regularly. When she told me something I needed to hear, she'd begin by saying, "I'm speaking the truth in love," then she pointed out something she saw in me that she had been by God to point out to me.

    ReplyDelete