Monday, February 20, 2012

Love is Very Patient


Yes, I have blogged all through 1 Corinthians 13. In the process I found this story written about twenty years ago - a true story. I hope my readers enjoy it.

"I'm not a patient person, God," I prayed. "Where do you want me to park?" I was taking a bulk mailing to the downtown Post Office before my first appointment at 9:30 a.m. I circled the Post Office twice; then prayed as I went around the third time. There it appeared, smack in front of the Post Office, an empty parking space—to my relief and surprise! Dropping my nickel in the meter I quietly thanked God.
                   
At the bulk mailing window a clerk checked my form almost immediately. The price had gone up requiring extra postage. The clerk calculated the amount and told me to meet him at the front window.
                   
I walked around to the front window and groaned inwardly at the sight of a line. An elderly man slouched in front of one window. A middle aged woman, in the process of being helped, stood at the second window. A young woman waited behind the rope as required. I took my place behind the young woman. The clerks, while friendly and cheerful, were very slow. 

I thought again, patience is not one of my virtues. "Pray without ceasing" (I Thess. 5:17), my Bible verse for the week, popped into my mind. It seemed impossible to carry out. "I want to learn to stay continually in your presence, God. Help me feel your presence here in this post office," I prayed without much conviction.

Then I glanced at the wall behind the clerks and astonishment filled my heart. Three large posters of LOVE stamps filled the wall. I felt God's presence three times: God in three persons, LOVE, LOVE, and LOVE! Along with His LOVE I absorbed some of His patience. My turn came before I knew it. I had plenty of time to get to my 9:30 appointment.

"Love is very patient" (I Cor. 13:4) is my verse for next week.  I think I'll buy some LOVE stamps soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment