Thursday, February 9, 2012

Love is Gracious and Selfless


1 Corinthians 13:5
Love “is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”

The Message says it this way: Love “doesn’t force itself on others, isn’t always ‘me first’, doesn’t fly off the handle, doesn’t keep score of the sins of others.”

There are four things listed. I’ll take them one by one.

Love is not rude, doesn’t force itself on others. In other words it is gracious and well-mannered. I’m usually kind but I can be persistent. Lord, guard me from being rude. Teach me to be gracious, always.

Love is not self-seeking; it isn’t always ‘me first.’ Love puts the interests of others ahead of their own interests. Well, I’m not always self-seeking. But do I put the interests of others ahead of my own interests some of the time? This goes against natural instincts, natural self-focus. Help me, Lord. 

Love is not easily angered, doesn’t fly off the handle. Lord, I’m often irritated by minor things. Inwardly I fly off the handle—if not overtly. You’ve helped me turn to you and at least not sin in my anger. My sweet husband teaches me by his laid-back demeanor. And he listens when I sound off on anything, just as you do. Denying my emotions doesn't work. They slip out in sneaky ways. Help me accept them and learn from them. Help me grow up.

Love keeps no record of wrongs, doesn’t keep score of the sins of others. In other words, love doesn’t judge or criticize, but is accepting of others. Guard me from judging, criticizing and remembering wrongs. Delete the critical spirit in me and fill me with your accepting love.

Wow! This is a very high standard of behavior. Well, I guess so! It’s a holy standard, one we can strive for but not attain. Lord, keep us growing in love.

Blessings, Dottie

2 comments:

  1. Dottie:
    You have some good thoughts here. We really have had to learn these things ourselves to understand the exact meaning of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your loving, encouraging comments

    ReplyDelete